Resource Library

Department of Fair Trading – New South Wales – Renting Dept Fair Trading provides information to tenants, landlords and real estate agents about their rights and responsibilities. This covers all residential premises, including residential parks. We also fund a number of community organisations to provide advice and advocacy to tenants across NSW. Any money given to a landlord or their agent as a bond must be lodged with NSW Fair Trading.
Renting a Home Guide

NSW Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services This is the website of NSW Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services. Here you can find out about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, where to get tenancy advice, policy and law reform work undertaken by the Tenants’ Union of NSW. The information on this site is for all tenants in New South Wales, including tenants of private rental housing, social housing, boarding and lodging houses and residential parks.

Real Estate Institute of NSW
REINSW is the largest professional association for real estate agents in Australia. REINSW members follow a Code of Practice outlining the ethical duties and responsibilities of real estate agents. REINSW encourages agents to follow best practices and to be fair and responsible in their agency practices. The REINSW Education and Training Unit ensures agents have access to the highest quality training.

Residential Tenancies Act 2010 No 42
1) A residential tenancy agreement is an agreement under which a person grants to another person for value a right of occupation of residential premises for the purpose of use as a residence.
(2) A residential tenancy agreement may be express or implied and may be oral or in writing, or partly oral and partly in writing.
(3) An agreement may be a residential tenancy agreement for the purposes of this Act even though: (a) it does not grant a right of exclusive occupation, or (b) it grants the right to occupy residential premises together with the letting of goods or the provision of services or facilities.
(4) For the purpose of determining whether an agreement is a residential tenancy agreement, it does not matter that the person granted the right of occupation is a corporation if the premises are used (or intended for use) as a residence by a natural person.
Residential Tenancies Act 2010 No 42
Consumer, Trader & Tenancy Tribunal
The CTTT conducts hearings throughout NSW and deals with matters under the following nine divisions: Tenancy, Social Housing, Home Building, Strata & Community Schemes, Retirement Villages, Residential Parks, Motor Vehicles, General, Commercial.
CTT Website


Anti-Discrimination Act 1977

Dividing Fences Act 1991

Land Tax Act 1956

Landlord and Tenant (Rental Bonds) Act 1977

Landlord and Tenant (Rental Bonds) Regulation 2003

Strata Schemes Management Regulation 1997